Friday, October 29, 2010

Long Weekend. A Very Past-Due Post.

New York, New York. There’s something that I love about the city air. Not only that, but I got to see my Shemmy! Friday I travelled for the first time by myself on a bus. It was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I arrived in NYC at about 1pm. I walked a few blocks then finally took a cab ride to Auntie B’s apartment. On the way, I called Aunt Brenda, who was already busy doing her thing. When I arrived at the apartment, there was a lot of confusion about my key. More on that later. I finally got my key and went to the grocery store to buy myself lunch. Late lunch. I’m so hungry I could eat the entire store lunch.
At about 7:30, I was finally able to see Shem. I took my first very long, very boring subway ride to the west side. Around the park. I think it took about 45 minutes. We went to this little vegan café which was ADORABLE. We had chickpea fries, which sounded strange, but were a little spicy and with the dipping sauce, it was probably the best thing I’ve ever eaten in my entire life. I’m not even joking. My pasta was really great too! Shem and I had such a good time. We were both really exhausted from our weeks at school, but it was so good to learn about his life and to talk about my new friends and my life trying to juggle my friends at two colleges and coping with the fact that I’m a freshman again. Of course, we’re two college kids so spending money is not enjoyable. So, we walked the twenty blocks from Shem’s uncle’s, Ethan, apartment to the restaurant. Unfortunately, my flats were not made for walking. On the way back I was in so much pain! But, it was worth it to be in the city, and enjoy the conversation with Shem. At a Duane Reade, we tried to buy him a toothbrush. That turned into a 15 minute affair because the woman in front of us had neither enough cash to buy her cigarettes, nor enough money on her debit card to cover the expense. It was really awkward, so we decided to leave.
Then we decided to plan our weekend. There were so many suggestions that it was hard to decide what to do. However, we totally made a chart and even scheduled in time to do our homework.
The next morning, we did just that. I read my Herodotus book on the Central Park Mall. So beautiful! When it was time for Shem and I to meet, he was still working on his homework. Realizing that I still had so much to do, I said that would be fine. Then, I fell asleep. When he called me to tell me he was done, I was still sleeping. When I finally woke up, I called him and GUESS WHAT?! He was sleeping. So, we finally got together around 6:00pm and we met up one stop past Times Square on the Red line. That was an interesting way to do it, but it saved us money and the confusion of the Times Square Station. Alright, quick break to love on the Droid Phone. Apps- The second I got to the city, I realized that there was a HUGE network of trains, buses, and many other forms of transit that all run on routes and schedules. Luckily, the Android Market has an app for that. Saved my life. Okay, back to the story. That night, we did the Staten Island Ferry (Free!) So much fun! Then we had to run back to unlock the top bolt of my aunt’s apartment (whoops.) After walking around for a few minutes, we decided to call it a night, because both of us were exhausted (Hey, we’re college kids! Don’t judge us!)
The next morning, I really wanted to go to Canal Street. It has always been a lot of fun!! I bought a new bag that I use as my school bag. Yeah, I do school up in style. Then, Shem and I took the train back to Grand Central, where he hopped a train back to Connecticut. Sad face. Then I walked back to the apartment. My excursion on Times Square for the Virgin Record store failed. I don’t exactly know what I did wrong, but it was very cool to see all the people there. I got up early the next morning to talk to Auntie B and get a good spot in line for the bus! Overall, Awesome long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment