Monday, October 4, 2010

Johnnies.

The Johnnies are a very...interesting bunch.  A lot of people own up to their quirks and are awesome, but then we have some folks that own up to it and are still just weird.  The "Pirate Group" is apparently a real group on campus.  They have Tea parties on my hallway sometimes and dress up in medieval clothing and drink tea.  It's strange.  One time I was in the shower and heard them talking about chainmail.  Another interesting character is McWicken.  Yes, we have a real-live wicken at my school.  It's awesome.  Apparently he casts spells on people in Seminar when they disagree with him.  Luckily for me, he's a year above me.

So, my friends Maggie, Henley, and Emily taught me about the typical Johnnies.

Nerds: This is pretty self-explanatory.  The nerds are so cute and EVERYWHERE.   However, this also makes things awkward.  Nerds do not have the best social skills.  So, the entire campus is just socially awkward.  I've learned that the term "socially awkward" is really just a spectrum.  I'm not as hopeless as I originally expected.

Hipsters:  This term was not coined by Johnnies.  This is a real group of people.  As I understand it, they are a very moody, trendy group of people that frighten away all the real Johnnies. For some reason last Friday we had a "girls' night" to try to befriend a few of them.  Apparently, I'm very hipster-like, but I'm too "Bro-y" to be a true hipster.  By that I mean, I like hummus, and if I wanted it that could make me a true hipster.  Madi and Emily took me to the grocery stores and asked me questions like "Mandee!, WHAT do hipsters eat?"  and "Do hipsters eat Funions? They're kinda like vegetable chips."

Jocks:  Okay, this is a very, very relative term.  There are 3(?) intercollegiate sports at the college.  Croquet, sailing, and crew.  Mostly, our athletes participate in intramural sports. (KUNAIII!!)  Being a part of these leagues is like being a part of any high-school sports league.  The girls play soccer in the Kunai League.  It is awesome.  However, I only go after my hell days.  9am- Greek 10:20am: Math 1-3:40 Lab.  Then Kunai starts at four so I'm always exhausted.  Also, the shoes I use for Kunai are the same shoes that I used for cross country...my sophomore year of high school.  The coolest thing about them is that the fabric around my pinky toes has holes in it.  You can see my entire sock where my toe is.  It's AWESOME!! Hopefully I'll buy cleats soon.

Quad Johnnie:  This group of people usually resides in the area between McDowell (The oldest building/great hall/classrooms), Randall (the dining hall/dorms) and Campbell (My dorm and clearly the most important building on campus.)  However, the school decided that since we finally reached the fall semester, they should probably get around to renovating the quad.  They didn't want to disrupt the summer students, which I personally think is sweet. So, these quad johnnies don't really know what to do.  I think they've just come to the conclusion that standing around the fenced-in quad and staring at it is the best way to handle the situation.  Oh, and did I mention that all of the quad Johnnies are smokers?  Not only them...it's actually most of the campus.  I've considered picking up smoking to make friends...When in Rome right?  I think Johnnies only accept smokers as friends.  I've been told several times that people judge my character for not smoking.  True story.  Anyways, Maggy says to steer clear of the quad Johnnies.  So, naturally, I'm dating one.

Room Johnnies:  This is me! Room Johnnies are so cool that they just enjoy being by themselves all the time.  It is not as easy as it sounds folks.  1.  You can only be seen in 2 places other than the dining hall.  These generally include the library, and lecture, although some room johnnies don't even go there! Too scary!!!  2. No socializing with people outside of your core.  Your "core" group is the group of students that have the exact same schedule as you do.  It is nice to have people to study with, but at the same time since all the classes are discussion-based, you get to know people's mannerisms very, very quickly.  It can get annoying very fast.  My core is pretty awesome, but at times I want to knock them over the head with the complete works of Plato. (which, yes, I do carry to class with me!)  3. This next step is VERY important.  Don't say hello to too many people.  Or smile.  This might cause them to think you want to be their friend.  If you become your friend, you will never be a dedicated room Johnnie.

This is the basic St. John's social atmosphere.  As a whole, they're a REALLY awesome group of people.  Slowly but surely, I'm making friends.  Yey me! Okay, that's all for now.  I'm going to read the last bit of Plato's Gorgias before lunch and I'll try to write another blog-bit later!

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahahahah! I love it. Makes me miss Rice a little... Also, I have a comment to the Quad Johnnies paragraph, but I won't post it. Guess!

    ReplyDelete